Having just attended the French Quarter Festival and getting ready for Jazzfest, I figured this post was needed. Lordy….why the heck would you wear stilettos and black clothes to walk on festival grounds on a hot day in April?
Sooo….here you go…would love to hear your advice in the comments as this is only my 5th festival season, which makes me a newbie still.
* Do bring and wear sunscreen – reapply even after a few beers or if it is cloudy!
* Do bring an umbrella or rain coat if you see rain in the forecast. Be forewarned, poking drunk people with umbrellas or blocking their view, will not win you friends.
* DO wear comfortable flat shoes/sandals (ugly Crocs if you must) or rain boots you do not care about (throw in a pair of flip flops if you must).
* DON’T wear high heels or good shoes on muddy or grassy fair grounds! (And you know I love my heels.)
* DO wear cotton clothing in light colors.
* DON’T wear dark colors unless you want to broil in the sun.
* DO wear shorts. Ladies, dresses are cute, but most likely you will sit down at some point.
* DO bring a blanket or chair and claim your spot early.
* DON’T be “that person” who shows up late and thinks you can weasel your way to the front.
* Ladies, DO NOT wear shirts that give you “cleavage sweat.”
* Men, DON’T take your shirt off at any point during the day – no matter how many drinks you have had or how hot it is!
* DO plan your parking adventure ahead of time. Nothing worse than driving around and getting frustrated before you get there.
* DON’T park in a questionable place and not expect a ticket or even worse, to get towed!
* DO purchase any tickets ahead of time.
* DO print out any schedules or directions and keep them on you at all times.
* DO be prepared for entering and exiting problems and road closures.
* DON’T DRINK AND DRIVE or get in the car with someone who has! Plan accordingly!