I have been trying to come up with things to keep dad occupied at home. The last thing I want is him sleeping in front of a TV show he is not watching all day long. Not that might not happen from time to time. Now mind you, it has only been a week here, but these are things I have also done in the past with him when he visited or I visited him. This week I will seeking out senior resources and activities he can attend and hopefully a day program. So far I have had success with:
* Listening to music from his era. Pandora Rat Pack & big bands makes him sing and tap along (he was a musician).
* coloring children’s Mandalas and coloring books. Fat crayons, fat markers, some skinny markers
* coloring velvet art
* animal books
* art books
* looking at the newspaper and circulars
* Duplo blocks (large legos)
* getting the mail
* only watching select TV shows – Animal Planet, Judge Judy (his favorite), sports
* hanging out with our dog Chulo or one of our cats
* daily walks in the wheelchair with the dog
* watching the kids play
I would love any additional suggestions from you! I want to keep him busy all day so he sleeps well at night. Of course , being in a busy house is exhausting!