The convention was called Blog World and New Media Expo.” I “worked” the floor yesterday, meaning I visited all the booths (and pimped Soldiers’ Angels). I went mainly for the Milblog conference and the expo was lagniappe. As for new media, I have been part of it for 4 years now and you most likely have too. The internet has changed what we want and how we get our information. The mainstream media is suffering because of this (nanananabooboo). But hey – life is customer service oriented. The customer does not like something and something new and better comes along – so long.
A few things I got from Tim
* What do people associate you with? (Yep that is my major problem – I’m too eclectic!)
* You meet the same people on the way up as on the way down. (Be nice to the janitor has always been my motto)
* You can be nice and cordial and not be passive. (He described me well- lol)
* Be assertive but nice. (Hear that Yatpundit)
* Write your passion. (Silly bit so true – forced writing is horrible & the reader suffers as does the writer).
* Who reads your blog is more important than how many. (Yay for this validation from someone else. I have decent readership – thank you readers I love you.)
* If you want controversy, you will have angry readers. (Knock on wood that Hooah Wife is troll-free. We are diverse there but not inflammatory & this blog is mostly troll-free too – YAY!!!)
* It doesn’t matter how many people don’t get it, it matters how many get it. (True believer in that one).
Mike had some great stuff to say to as did Rohit talking about “karma marketing,” but Tim’s stuff was WOW.
Now let’s talk about bells and whistles for blogs. There are so many things out there, so I will list a few that captured my interest and I will be messing with over the weeks to come.
htt://sodahead.com This is a very cool and may be by new favorite polling site. You can create your own or used syndicated polls.
http://js-kit.com A cool community tracking and self promoting tool.
http://zannel.com LOVE this. This site works to upload video and pictures from your mobile. They will have their iphone application in a few weeks.
http://zemantic.com This is a firefox application that offered so many bells and whistles there is no way a blogger would not love it.
Yep – it was very cool. Just bummed I didn’t meet Scott Ott from Scrappleface!